Re: Cam Removal and cam timing question

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Subject: Re: Cam Removal and cam timing question
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 23:01:27 -0600
At 07:26 PM 3/20/2001 -0700, Andrew B. Lundgren wrote:
>I don't think it is possible.  The oil pump is driven by the cam,  I would
expect that the pump drive would interfere with the cam as you tried to
remove it...

>On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:19:15 -0500, John DiFede wrote:
>>.... Is it possible to remove a cam on the B series engine without
removing the oil pan and pump? ....

Think again.  Many of us have already done it, and recently so stated on
this list.  The base circle of the cam lobe is smaller than the root
diameter of the cam gear, so all you have to do is rotate the cam so the
tip of the cam lobe will go past the oil pump drive gear rather than
hitting it.

For a little bit of additional information, the last time I did this with
my MGA I had to move the (optional) oil cooler out of the way, and the cam
then just cleared above the horizontal air pan ahead of the radiator.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg

///