Re: rear axle dilemma

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rear axle dilemma
From: "British Sportscar Center" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:20:59 -0800
Well, it appears the factory seldom managed to get it right! When I put
185-60 x 15 tires on my BGT (on 72-spoke wire wheels), the left side tire
touched the inside of the fender lip when I went over bumps. I have since
measured six other GTs and they all have the rear axle offset by 1/2" to the
left. (Or is it the body offset by 1/2" to the right......?)

Without much careful welding and grinding on the axle housing, it will not
be easy to center the axle under the body so careful trimming of the fender
lip seems like the best solution.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center