axle fill plug removed, at last

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: axle fill plug removed, at last
From: "Evangelos G. Makris" <egmakris@otenet.gr>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 14:47:36 +0300
I wish to thank you so much people who helped with this problem with
your suggestions. The old plug is out, the oil replaced and a new plug
is in place.

1. Chiselling it didn't move it. Chisel only cut a ridge on the plug
perimeter...
2. Air ratchet with filed 1/2" extension didn't move it either. Plug was
too round.

Finally, wet asbestos was liberally smeared around the plug, a 17mm hex
bolt (length about 70mm) was arc welded to the rounded hole bottom,
quenched with water and removed with a 17mm spanner....it was very easy
after all this work.

The new plug is in place, it is of the 3/8" hex hole variety, it just
doesn't appear to have the slightly tapered thread the old one used to
have. It's not overtightened anyway.... Should it really be tapered?
This is what I got when I ordered a couple of 6K499's about a year ago.

Once again, I really appreciate your help, you people in this list are
wonderful.

Evangelos

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list