TD pedal shaft from hell!

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TD pedal shaft from hell!
From: "Roger & Wanda Wilt" <rdwilt@pol.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:33:07 -0500
What an experience!!!! and it's not over yet. I recently posted that I was
about to attempt  to replace the bushing on my brake pedal in the TD.
Thanks to Bob  Howard for his helpful tips but I'll bet not even he could
have predicted my nightmare. First of all, what a mess 50 yrs. of gunk can
make in a 4x6 in box! Every pin/bolt  had to be cut or torched off. The real
kicker came when I started to drive the shaft out, (yes, I pulled the clutch
key and removed the bolt!) the outer frame bushing was frozen to the shaft!!
It drove the inner bushing out and up against the clutch which pushed
against the brake pedal shaft.  No amount  of driving (at a most awkward
angle) could bust the bushing loose from the shaft. You can't heat it
because it is now in the center of the Frame! I tried to pry the clutch
clamp apart far enough to drive the shaft and bushings under but to no
avail. After resting for 3 days and dreaming about this in my sleep I came
up with this solution.......

I  drove the shaft back to original position. Then, using my dremel tool
with a cutoff wheel, I reached thru the floorboard opening (so the cutoff
wheel could be parallel to the shaft)and cut the inner bushing off the
shaft. Then I was able to drive the shaft out further until I could cut the
outer bushing off and FINALLY remove the shaft.

Now I have the dilemma of replacing the frame bushings from quite an awkward
angle. Any suggestion??? I'll need a new pedal, pins, bushings, etc. Whose
the best supplier?

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list