A sad day

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: A sad day
From: "Chris Chandler" <barak@voyager.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:26:02 -0400
Well, the time has come.  :(

This last weekend I (sort of) made the decision to scrap the first MG ('72 B
aka "Red Baron") I ever owned.  It's been up on blocks for the last four
years and donated many of it's parts (wiper motor, gas tank, climate
controls, etc) to the other one ('70 B aka "Ghost").

The motor and tranny have been pulled to be rebuilt, but that project got
put on hold after I suffered an injury that prevented me from working on it
for months. Hopefully I'll get back around to it soon.

Looking at it this weekend (as I'm trying to figure out how to make more
room in my garage) the body is far gone; rockers/sills completely shot, all
lower fenders shot, front and rear valences crumpled (DPO musta liked
driving over curbs or something), drivers door crumpled, etc.  The floors
are ok, although it looks like the DPO had some custom stainless floorpans
made as they don't quite fit right and are actually riveted in.

Needless to say, the litany of damage is beyond my meager bodywork skills to
repair (or my pocketbook to replace) and none of the local community
colleges seem to offer callses in doing bodywork, so I think I'm going to
strip it down of all useful parts and eventually it'll be off to the scrap
yard.

Anyway, has anyone got any ideas on how to get the pins out of castle nuts
that appear to have been on there since the car rolled off the line?  The
free ends sheared off the second I touched them and the loop end is pulled
right down into the nut and I can't seem to get ahold of it no matter how
hard I try.

Thanks,
Chris Chandler
'70 B "Ghost"