Splines

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Splines
From: "Badeker, Andy" <ABadeker@tribune.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 12:18:32 -0500
Regarding wear on splines: I recall John Twist saying that a new splined
hub, on an MGA anyway, will have a diameter of 2.45 inches and a scrap one
will be 2.40, though I don't have those figures at hand. Another test: With
the knockoff removed, the brake set and the wheel off the ground but mounted
on the hub, there shouldn't be any appreciable play when you try to rotate
the wheel on the hub. Apparently the knockoff keeps the wheel on, but can't
make up for worn splines no matter how hard you bash those guys on there.
My hubs were at 2.43 or something close, and so I felt safe hanging new wire
wheels on them. But the play remained, so I had to buy hubs as well.
Andy Badeker
1600 coupe

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list