Oil vanishing

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil vanishing
From: "G Cook" <litfuse@skyenet.net>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 06:43:42 -0400
It's gotten bad: 1 qt/50 miles.  No blue smoke, no more than minor drips on
the floor.  It's a rebuilt and detoxed 1972 HC motor in my 80 B,  20K on it.
Plugs seem oily around threads only, but it's always been like that.
Compression is  145/165/160/165 (valve?).  The crankcase breathes fine, as far
as I can tell.  Bottom of motor seems wet, but I can't seem to find anything
major, at least while it's parked.  I fear the rear main seal is toast, but I
don't know how to confirm.  Any fond memories out there of an "aha" fix that
didn't involve motor removal?

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list