Re: Oil vanishing

To: "G Cook" <litfuse@skyenet.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil vanishing
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 09:36:04 -0600
Does a valve job count as an "aha" fix?

My 71BGT was getting about 100 miles to the quart. No blue smoke or so it
seemed. Compression was good as I recall. The smoke was actually only
occurring (or visible) when shifting gears. It turned out most of the oil
burning problem was due to worn valve guides. I removed the head and a
machine shop knurled the valve guides. This was back in '83 so it probably
cost more. But I think machine shop, gasket set, and beer set me back maybe
$200 plus I spent several hours on the removal and reinstall of the head.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B under construction

At 06:43 AM 5/8/2001 -0400, G Cook wrote:
>It's gotten bad: 1 qt/50 miles.  No blue smoke, no more than minor drips on
>the floor.  It's a rebuilt and detoxed 1972 HC motor in my 80 B,  20K on it.
>Plugs seem oily around threads only, but it's always been like that.
>Compression is  145/165/160/165 (valve?).  The crankcase breathes fine, as far
>as I can tell.  Bottom of motor seems wet, but I can't seem to find anything
>major, at least while it's parked.  I fear the rear main seal is toast, but I
>don't know how to confirm.  Any fond memories out there of an "aha" fix that
>didn't involve motor removal?

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list