Tyres (Again)

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tyres (Again)
From: "David Hill" <Davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 16:08:44 +0100
Sorry to bore you with the tyre size debate again but I need some
information...

My '72 BGT is currently on 5.5J x 14 Minilite copies (KN Minotaurs) and is
wearing 185/60 x 14 Continental tyres. Using the various calculators, I've
discovered that these undergear the car by nearly 8%. They also make the
steering *very* heavy and give it a dead feeling and the low profiles make
the ride quality very poor.
I know that the exact equivalent in terms of diameter is 185/70 x 14 but I
feel these are a bit wide. I know for a fact that 175/70 x 14 will fit but
these are still a little undersized in relation to the stock 165 x 14s.
Since 165 x 14 will be at maximum stretch on 5.5" rims, I am thinking of a
compromise, using 175 x 14, which are available in the UK and I'm thinking
Firestone.
Question is will they fit? They are 12mm larger in diameter than 165 x 14
and I am using front underwing liners. So, although I'll solve the clearance
problem between the rear arch lips and tyre sides (the 185/60s are very
tight there) but will I get clearance problems on lock, through the larger
overall diameter?
Any experiences, constructive suggestions and/or warnings gratefully
appreciated.
Many thanks,
David Hill

///