Re: MGB Oil Filter

To: Ken Waringa <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Subject: Re: MGB Oil Filter
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 07:14:08 -0700
  Does your hanging filter head look like the illustration on page 71 of
the current Moss catalog?  It's  # 460-915 and is NA.  I bought one many
years ago and didn't use it until I rebuilt the engine in Y2K.  The only
Bs I have seen this filter head on were late CBBs with no oil cooler,
the filter head being connected directly to the block via a short hose.
I had to experiment with hoses to connect it to my oil cooler because
the fitting points the wrong way.

  I used this filter head because I was trying to eliminate the problem
of no oil pressure immediately after startup when the car has sat idle
for several days.  This is common to cars with the inverted spin-on
filters if the anti-drainback valve leaks, allowing the oil to drain out
of the filter over a period of time.  Well, it didn't work!  I still get
rattlin' rods every now and then.  Somewhere, air is getting into the
system.  I may go back to the inverted filter.  It's easier to get at
for changing and not any more messy.  Also, it's a larger capacity
filter.

  Cheers,

  CR

///