Re: MGB under carriage

To: lyonw@lucent.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB under carriage
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 13:04:27 EDT
In a message dated 5/29/01 11:48:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lyonw@lucent.com writes:

> The way I did it was
> jacked one side up, put jack stands up, put those big concrete bricks under
> the jack and jack it up more, and finally placed bricks under the jack

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Just a quick warning here.  It is NOT safe to support a car with concrete
blocks.  (Cinder blocks, or anything else not designed for the job.)  Please
do not get under the car unless it is supported by something that will not
crumble.  Cinder blocks are designed to hold up a lot of weight that is
distributed evenly along the entire length of the block.  If you put a jack
stand on it, you are concentrating the weight on a few square inches of the
block.  NOT SAFE!!!

You might try building up a SOLID wooden base out of 2X4s, 8X8s, 2X12s, etc.,
as high as you like.  Then put the jack stands on the solid base.  Try to
shake the car when it is up there, and before you get underneath, so you know
it is solid.  Ramps are another option.

Also, NEVER get under a car supported only by the jack.  This comes up every
so often on the list, but it should be repeated until everyone gets the word.
 I don't mean to sound like I'm yelling at you, I just don't want to lose a
lister!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget