Oil Pump Question

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Pump Question
From: "Dave Munroe" <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 08:08:05 -0300
Hi everyone;

Long face here.  :o(

Well, I did it again.

Got the motor in after a complete rebuild, all snugged up and went to bed with
the Haynes Manual for a final "look over my shoulder" to see what I could
possibly have screwed up.

Well, I think I found it. (You really are not paranoid if....)

 P 41 34/7    "Before refitting a pump check the following points:
 ........(b)  Check that the chamfered end of the outer rotor is at the
driving end of the pocket in the body..."

I had my new "County" brand pump apart several times to compare it to my
O.E.British made pump, and to correct several obvious deficiencies in the port
sizes along with removal of some casting flash. Never noticed the
aforementioned "chamfer" on the outer rotor.

So I ran out to the garage and disassembled the old pump to inspect this
feature.

Man, there is a chamfer there, but it is so small as to be unnoticeable. Hard
to believe it does anything important, but it must, think I, if they went to
the trouble to mention it.  Can anyone explain the function of this miniscule
chamfer to me? Does its function justify the work involved to get at it to
check that the rotor is installed the right way around? What is the consensus?
Raise the motor, drop the pan, etc. etc. <groan> and inspect this chamfer? Or
take a chance. after all, its 50/50 its in there the right way around, anyway.
Probably should never look over your shoulder.......

I think I will go have a beer. I have no idea.

Dave

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list