Red Mill British Car Day #6

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Red Mill British Car Day #6
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 18:48:40 -0700 (PDT)
I spent a great day on Sunday in Clinton, NJ, at the 6th Annual Red Mill
British Car Day - and for the 6th year in a row, the weather was great! I
left my house immediately after a downpour and drove up in the sunshine.
There were about 90 cars and the usual good mix, and a surprise appearance
by the new Mini! It was open for sitting in and poking at. And was also
parked next to and early-60s Mini Panel Van in the same dark blue with
white top colors. I have to say that I was very impressed with the new
Mini and the features that it included for about $18,000 - leather
interior, 6 airbags, 4-wheel discs with 17" wheels and tires, CD player,
etc. (Now assuming that dealers don't gouge an extra $2,000 or $3,000...).
They also had a very late 2000-model Mini on display that was really sharp
- body-colour (gold) fender flares, minilite wheels, leather interior,
full-length sunroof. VERY cool.

Oh, there were old cars there, too! I believe the oldest was a massive
1931 Rolls-Royce touring car... It was pretty sharp! Obviously, lots of Bs
and Triumphs were in attendance, with a couple of beautiful Jaguars, XK
models and E-Types. One of my favorites was a '58 MG Magnette in 'very
original' condition. It had some SERIOUS patina on it..! I really like the
clean lines of that car. Unusual car of the show was a Lanchester, which I
had never seen before, a very stately sedan. All of the cars went very
well with fish 'n chips, a Scotch egg and IPA!

Saw 2 listers there, Rick Brown (freshly returned from Holland) and
Charles Sorkin (with wife, dog and soon-to-be child!). Great seeing you,
guys...

Only problem was that my camera was a no-show, so no pictures from this
year 8^(

I was pleased that my new radiator hoses held up well - I wasn't too sure
how much to tighten the clamps but everything held together and the car
ran very cool. Hardly even touched the 'N' even at traffic lights.

Can't wait for next year!

=====
Dan DiBiase
Dayton, NJ