Re: Fender Bead

To: Ken Waringa <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Subject: Re: Fender Bead
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 11:16:27 -0700
Hmm, I see the potential here for you to become a DPO if you ever sell
this car!

JB Weld may work fine, but keep it bare metal and fill the entire area
between the bead and the fender with JB.  Alternatively, clamp the two
together and lead fill the top of the joint. The lead will bond and seal
it, then spray rust preventive paint from underneath for maximum rust
protection.

The correct way is to weld it and fill the gaps with non-hardening,
paintable auto body seam sealer, which you will want to use between the
fender and the body contact points too.

--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1
'65 MGB (Daily driver since 1969)
'74 MGB GT (Restoring sloooowly)

Personal mechanic for:
'70 MGB GT (Daughter's)

Assisting on Restoration (and spending OPM):
'72 MGB GT (Was daughter's, now son's)
'64 MGB (Son's)

Stripped and gone but their parts live on:
'68 MGB, '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list