Re: Engine tag #'s, MGBGT

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine tag #'s, MGBGT
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:41:05 -0700
WE = manual gearbox, synchromesh 1st gear
H = high compression (8.8:1)

Those are the most common variants. Others you might see are:

U = manual gearbox, non-synchromesh 1st gear
R = overdrive
Rc = Borg Warner automatic transmission
L = low compression (8.0:1)

I believe that when the list shows the starting number as 101, that that is
precisely what is meant -- the numbers start 101, 102, 103, up to 91,175 or
whatever. Not 101001, 101002, etc. So your number is in the ten thousand,
eight hundred range, out of 13,547 18GF engines made (13,647 minus 100).
Which is a surprisingly low number for a whole year's worth of NA imports,
now that I look at it.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149