Re: mech fuel pump on a B?

To: "Evangelos G. Makris" <egmakris@otenet.gr>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: mech fuel pump on a B?
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 18:29:36 -0500
At 04:19 PM 6/24/2001 +0300, Evangelos G. Makris wrote:
>Has anyone tried using a mechanical fuel pump on your B engine?

My 1500 engines have the apperature machined on the side of the block with
a blanking plate there, and the cam has the round eccentric lob to drive a
mechanical fuel pump.  My 1600 engine does not have the apperature machined
on the side of the block.  Otherwise I dunno nuttin bout no 1800 MGB's in
this respect.

>.... It would mean less maintenance headaches and a safer car too.

Oh, I dunno about safer.  When the mecahnical pump blows a diaphram it
either dumps gasoline outside (near the exhaust) or it dumps gasoline into
the oil sump, neither of which is particularly desireable.  And the
mechanical fuel pump may require more engine cranking before starting,
especially if it has been sitting long enough to have low fuel level in the
carburetor float chamber(s).

>Will the camshaft drive the pump? ....

Most camshafts will have the lobe to drive the pump.  Some blocks may not
have the apperature machined in the side, even though they may have studs
there for other reasons.  If you have a cover plate there that actually
covers a hole in the block, chances are that you can sucessfully mount a
mechanical fuel pump.  Check of course that the engine mount and exhaust
manifold are not in the way.

Also consider that if you're not a stickler for originality some
aftermarket electric fuel pumps are cheap and reliable and widely
available.  For example, check here:
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mgtech/electric/f_pump.htm

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude