Another wrecked 'B

Subject: Another wrecked 'B
From: "Mark Dawson" <torchbone@bright.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 19:16:34 -0400
My wreck-free driving record is no more. I'll spare the details, and nobody
seems to be hurt. Everyone had seatbelts on, and the other guy was only
going around 25mph I figure.

So what do I need to look for in terms of damage? Got t-boned right at the
B-pillar on the driver's side. Mashed the door, rear fender, and the  rocker
panel. I looked under the car, and I don't *see* any damage at all
underneath. The dent stops well above the bottom of the outside of the car.
I don't think the rear wheel is affected, but I haven't had the nerves to
take it up to highway speed yet (this happened an hour ago - you all are the
first to hear after police, family, and the insurance folk).

Any way to tell about structural damage? The front of the driver's door, and
the passenger door all mate properly. I can't believe the driver's side
isn't bent at the hinges, but it appears to swing and close ok, except for
the damage to the latch area I describe below. There doesn't seem to be any
vibrations or anything. Any other stress points that might be cracked or
bent? Would a modern body shop know what to look for?

As for the door and the b-pillar, both are crushed just below the latch
area. Will this necessitate a new door, or is that something a body shop can
pull out ok? Or does it just depend on the extent of the damage?

I've taken good care of the car, and I feel like it's so fragile and won't
ever be "just right" again. What a hassle.

-Mark "failure to yield" Dawson
Sad, battered, Topless Smurf ('75 MGB):
http://www.bones.org/torch/photos/mgb/mark_mgb_1.html

Mark Dawson
Manager
The Roundtown Cafi      http://www.roundtowncafe.com
Personal Web Page       http://www.bones.org/torch/

        234 N. Court St., Circleville, Ohio, 43113
                   740-474-8666

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a
name of winmail.dat]

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list