Re: Carbs

To: "MG-BBS" <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Carbs
From: "Mike Janacek" <mjanacek@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 06:27:30 -0400
Maybe I'm reading your post wrong but it sounds like your trying to adjust
mixture to get the carbs synced. Loosen the throttle linkage clamp bolt to
one carb and turn the idle screw on one or the other carb to synchronize
using a piece of rubber hose or a Unisyn or similar. Then retighten clamp
bolt and recheck.

The normal starting point for the jets is to have them flush with the bridge
(remove vacuum chamber <dashpot>, spring and piston with needle to see
better), then back off jet nut 12 flats (2 turns). Jet should be approx.
.060 down from bridge. Reassemble.

Type of needle you may need is very subjective (your altitude, what mods
you've done to engine, etc.). If the car was running good before and you
just wish to replace needles you should find the needle size stamped on the
upper end of the needle in very small print.

Rebuild yourself? Sure, if you feel you have some mechanical ability and a
good manual to guide you along. Also there is at least one good video
available for rebuilding SU's if you prefer that.

Mike
'79B (SU converted)