Re: Hot brakes

To: Will Brien <wbrien@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Hot brakes
From: James Nazarian Jr <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 09:27:19 -0600
This may or may not be relavent.

I know about a half dozen people, including myself that had a similar problem
on the front brakes.  For some reason after a complete brake rebuild, we
have had the front brakes become nearly locked, and turn red hot and smoke
etc.  This happens on the first drive after the rebuild and after it occurs
and is then allowed to cool, it has never reocurred.  I don't know why it
happens, but it does.  I don't know of anyone who ever had that happen
on the rears though.

--
James Nazarian Jr
71 MGB roadster

A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have
   evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 06:32:07PM -0400, Will Brien profoundly declared:
> Anyone had this problem?
>
> I took the B out for a short spin a couple of evenings ago, a 20 minute run
> to the store.  When I got to the place I was going, I noticed a burning
> smell but thought it was coming from somewhere else.  (You can tell it's
> been a long time since I had an LBC!)  When I came out of the store, a woman
> in the car next to me leaned over and whispered those words that get a guys
> heart racing...she said, "your car's on fire".  Well, that figured, as I had
> just thought to myself as I was driving to the store "gee, the B's really
> running well".  Turns out that the car was not on fire, but the right rear
> wheel was absolutely red hot and smoking slightly and the smell I had
> smelled was brake lining.  However, the B ran fine on the way home and on
> the next evening, after a short test run, did not give evidence of a problem
> at all.
>
> All I can figure is that the right rear brake got hung up somehow and then
> worked itself free again.  Or maybe it was the parking brake, although I
> know that I released it completely.  Not having had this problem before,
> though, I'm just speculating.  Can anyone shed any light?
>
> Will
> Yellow 77

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list