Real MGs? - was Re: SV, NASCAR and F1

To: <Tomsaudi200@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Real MGs? - was Re: SV, NASCAR and F1
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 07:37:54 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: Tomsaudi200@aol.com <Tomsaudi200@aol.com>
To: mgs@autox.team.net <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Monday, July 02, 2001 10:57 PM
Subject: SV, NASCAR and F1

(SNIP)

>Anyone
>who watched the 24 hours of Le Mans enjoyed seeing MG's on the track, and
it
>was made quite clear there was an interest in bringing the MG's to the
>American Le Man's race schedule. No matter what you feel about F1, CART, or
>NASCAR, I am sure we can all agree that we would love to watch MG's race
here
>in America.

I know there was a lot of discussion about this before the Le Mans race but
I was on vacation and perhaps missed the answer to this question: other than
painted logos on the bodywork, what made the "MG" that raced this year an
MG? What I saw was a Lola sports racing car that bore no resemblance to
anything available from even the reincarnated MG Car company.

What am I missing? And why does this supposed re-emergence of the MG marque
in long distance racing stir me a whole lot less than reading about when
real MGs raced to advertise the capabilities of the cars available at the
local MG dealer.

Shoot, even Bill Spohn's twinkie stories are more exciting than watching yet
another swoopy, space-framed, plastic bodied advertising billboard compete
with other "cars" that are completely unavailable for purchase, and totally
impractical even if they were.

Just my tuppence-worth..........

Lawrie

///