Knock Knock...

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net '" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Knock Knock...
From: "Plant, Keith Contractor (NSAGAETA 60)"
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 18:35:42 +0200
Has anyone had a problem with a knocking sound (literally sounds like a
single knock on wood) whenever there is a substantial shift in
weight/momentum in the car?  It seems to be coming from the right [drivers
side] wheels (not sure if it's the front or rear, actually sounds like
both).  It is much louder when I brake (gentle braking still causes the
noise, but much much quieter) from higher speeds but it also happens if I
drop a gear (eg. rolling up to a light and shift from 3rd to 2nd and release
the clutch to slow down).  It's a loud knock and also feels that way
throughout the car.  A single knock.  No vibration or surging.  I do have a
slight squeak in the brakes but I figured that was worn down pads.  My first
guess was that a brake component might be slightly loose but I was wondering
if anyone had any other insights?

Thanks in advance.

Keith
'69 B