Re: NO3 in a B + turbo(s)?

To: James Nazarian Jr <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>
Subject: Re: NO3 in a B + turbo(s)?
From: S & M Barnes <barnesms@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:38:53 -0500
 "James Nazarian Jr" Stated........

> The rev range you are discussing does not lend itself well to turbos
> however,  turbos normally start to kick in at 3-4k RPM.  The size of the
> turbo, and thus the spoolup time etc is directly related to its size, so
> the smaller the turbo the faster it spools up, but it will still take a
> few krpm.  The numbers you discuss are more akin to superchargers.

I have seen some home-built systems that use this rev range, they tend to
use very small turbos which run out of puff at about the 3 - 4k range which
to me seems ideal for everyday road use.

> One method I have read about, but not tried, for simple supercharging is
> very interesting.  It is also simple to do.  Basically find an air pump
> from a large american V8 and use it to supercharge a small 4-cyl via a
> preassurized airbox.  It appears that this makes about 3-4# of boost,
> and since it is supercharged it will make that at much lower rpm.  I'd
> send info but I don't remember where I read it.

Hmmmmm.............
This is interesting, it was something that crossed my mind but I had never
heard of it being done so dismissed it as probably not workable. May need
that Maestro carb shipping from the UK after all!

I will do some more research, all I want is a little extra power to make
daily city driving more pleasant, but I want it to be reversible, easy to
do, different and good value for money (yeah - OK - cheap!) :-)

I know the best way for more power is work the head etc but I have a
perfectly good 4000 mile old engine that I want to play with to see what I
can do before I think about tearing it apart.

Cheers

MikeB

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list