Re: NO3 in a B + turbo(s)?

To: "S & M Barnes" <barnesms@swbell.net>, <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>
Subject: Re: NO3 in a B + turbo(s)?
From: "Dave Munroe" <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 21:16:35 -0300
I agree with Jim, regarding his assertion that a turbo or turbos would not
give you enough "boost" at the RPM range you are looking at to justify the
expense and effort.

I don't think, however, that 3 or 4# of boost is enough of a kick to justify
any effort at all on the "B". I say this because I have a supercharger that
puts out that much boost at 2,000 RPM under full throttle, and you can
hardly tell the difference from a well tuned stocker. Where it really gets
interesting, tho', is at the 8 to 10# level at 4,500 RPM. The power comes in
so smoothly that you would have to try seriously hard to break something at
that level of boost, like winding up the motor and dumping the clutch.

Done properly, you could build a supercharger manifold and bolt a 1 3/4" SU
on the front end with some effort. To handle the pressure, you would have to
go to a belt drive system, but that is not insurmountable, either.

With the high compression "B" motor, ( pistons at 8.7 : 1 c.r. )
the max. pressure should likely be limited to 8#, if you want to avoid the
problems of heating and detonation.

Sounds like fun!

Dave

> "James Nazarian Jr" Stated........
>

> > The rev range you are discussing does not lend itself well to turbos
> > however,  turbos normally start to kick in at 3-4k RPM.  The size of the
> > turbo, and thus the spoolup time etc is directly related to its size, so
> > the smaller the turbo the faster it spools up, but it will still take a
> > few krpm.  The numbers you discuss are more akin to superchargers.
>
> I have seen some home-built systems that use this rev range, they tend to
> use very small turbos which run out of puff at about the 3 - 4k range
which
> to me seems ideal for everyday road use.
>

> > One method I have read about, but not tried, for simple supercharging is
> > very interesting.  It is also simple to do.  Basically find an air pump
> > from a large american V8 and use it to supercharge a small 4-cyl via a
> > preassurized airbox.  It appears that this makes about 3-4# of boost,
> > and since it is supercharged it will make that at much lower rpm.  I'd
> > send info but I don't remember where I read it.
>
> Hmmmmm.............
> This is interesting, it was something that crossed my mind but I had never
> heard of it being done so dismissed it as probably not workable. May need
> that Maestro carb shipping from the UK after all!
>
> I will do some more research, all I want is a little extra power to make
> daily city driving more pleasant, but I want it to be reversible, easy to
> do, different and good value for money (yeah - OK - cheap!) :-)
>
> I know the best way for more power is work the head etc but I have a
> perfectly good 4000 mile old engine that I want to play with to see what I
> can do before I think about tearing it apart.
>
> Cheers
>
> MikeB

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list