Re: Strange Wiper behaviour

To: dave@munroe.ca, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Strange Wiper behaviour
From: "Tuck Southworth" <tsouthworth70@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 22:12:20 -0400
>From: "Dave Munroe" <dave@munroe.ca>
>To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
>Subject: Re: Strange Wiper behaviour
>Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:25:00 -0300
>
>Here's a stumper;
>
>My two-speed w/s wiper has been working strangely since I bought this car.
>When you move it to the first position, (regular speed) it won't work. Move
>it to the second or "fast" position, and it wipes fast. Move it back to
>"regular" and it works at the slower speed. It will not work, and has never
>worked since I bought the car,  at the regular speed until you first turn
>it
>to "fast".
>
>I have disassembled the switch, cleaned, inspected ,(looks great) lubed and
>reassembled it with no change. I have not looked at the motor.
>
>Anyone with any ideas?

Dave
When I bought my 70 MGB, the dash had been completely removed, so before
putting it back together I took advantage of the easy access and took the
wiper assembly apart.  I heard someplace that it's a real dirt magnet.  It
was so clogged with thick old grease and dirt that it would never have
worked if I had ignored the cleaning.
This may also be your problem.  If you can get at them, remove the wiper
boxes and the wiper cable assemble.  Clean thoroughly in a solvent and
reinstall.  Assuming the motor is in good condition, that may solve your
problem.

Hope this helps,
Tuck Southworth
70 B "hers"