Re: engine troubles

To: "Mike Melugin" <michael@dallaspen.com>, "MG-BBS"
Subject: Re: engine troubles
From: Bob Shaw <shaws@mlcltd.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 22:56:54 -0500
At 1:27 PM -0500 8/3/01, Mike Melugin wrote:
>Hello. New to the list... forgive the lack of etiquette...
>Driving home yesterday in my B (74) at 65mph, oil pressure started falling,
>temp started rising, and the engine coughed once or twice as I rolled into a
>service station. There was no oil on the dipstick! I put two quarts in & tried
>to start her but couldn't. I know the crankshaft is damaged, what else do you
>think I am looking at here?
>Thanks
>
>Mike
This is a good news bad news sort of situation. If there is no oil,
then there is nothing to carry the nasties from the fried bearings to
the engine. So you got the crank and the bearings, and most likely
nothing else. But you have to tear the engine down so you might as
well go through it and do a rebuild while you are there, But most
importantly, what happened to the oil? Make sure you fix that if the
engine overhaul does not address the problem
--
Bob Shaw
Check out Shaw's Garage at http://www.mlcltd.com/shawsgarage/

///