carb trouble and OT

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: carb trouble and OT
From: William Killeffer <wtkilleffer@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 17:30:36 -0400
Hello,
I'm having carb trouble. My car is a 74 B, 71 engine, hs6 carbs. Recently, I
had to replace the floats and needles because they would not form a proper
seal, causing the engine to run rich no matter what. I replaced all fuel
hoses from the filter forward, and changed the filter itself as it was quite
dirty. After cleaning all the dirt and bad gas out of the carbs and hoses, I
set the car up to tune and balance the carbs by opening the throttle screws
1.5 turn and raising the jet level even with the bridge and then cranking
each jet screw down 12 flats. It appears that everything would be ok except
that I'm only getting fuel in the front carb. The rear carb's float chamber
is dry, and so is the hose leading from the front carb. It's not clogged,
thoughIf I pour gas into the float chamber, it behaves like normal until it
uses all the gas. What could be causing this and how do I solve it? One last
thing: the float chamber lids are new and don't allow for a connection to
the adsorption canister. I plugged the hose leading into the canister and
plugged the manifold nipple that hooks to the hose leading to the
distributor vacuum advance. One of these days this car will run again...
The OT is that I'm searching out a used BMW to replace the wife's aging Ford
Explorer. If anyone has any good Bimmer experience or knows of any good BMW
informational websites, please send me an email off the list. Most of the
ones I've seen are for European spec cars.
Thanks,
William Killeffer

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list