Car Not Starting

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Car Not Starting
From: "Jesse Robinson" <jesse@crka-architects.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 13:07:44 -0600
MG List,

My 'B' will not start.  The battery is good; I read 13 volts with key off
and 10 volts while cranking.  I replaced the battery terminals and ground
cable with new (I have one 12 volt battery).  I followed the positive wire
to the starter motor and saw no damage.  I took all connections off the
starter motor and sanded all wires to metal and re-assembled.  Still doesn't
start.  I get a loud clicking.  I'm guessing it is the solenoid?  Does
anything else click up there?  I rapped the starter motor with a hammer and
tried rocking the car in fourth gear.  I get one small turn of the starter
motor for every 10-12 clicks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jesse