Brake problem - 80 MGB

To: "MG" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake problem - 80 MGB
From: "Phillip Farmer" <pilot@ccc-cable.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 22:14:44 -0500
Need some help from the experts.  I have been working on this problem for
over a year.  This has stretched out due to other problems and time
constraints.

Below is a listing of what I have done.

Rebuilt front and rear brake caliber seals.  Rebuilt master cylinder seals.
Replace flexible hoses front and rear.

Front brakes bleed and worked fine.  Rear brakes would not bleed out.

Bought new rear wheel cylinders.  Still could not bleed rear brakes.
Replace plastic pressure differential switch with bolt because it kept
leaking.  Still could not bleed rear brakes.

Replaced master cylinder with new.  Couldn't get front or rear to bleed.
Tried multiple times with traditional hold pedal down crack bleeder.  Tried
leaving bleeder cracked to let gravity bleed.  No fluid ever moved through.

Bought a mighty vac.  Got front brakes bleed and working fine.  No luck on
bleeding rear using might vac, overnight gravity bleed or pump brakes-crack
bleeder.

I currently have the car up on jacks while I rebuilt front end and carb.  I
have cleaned the underneath multiple times while working on it so the brake
lines are very clean front and back.  I have suspected an air leak in line
to rear brakes or a pinched line.  Blew air through rear line with bleeders
open one at a time.  Fluid blew through line just fine.

My rear lines are mounted to side of rear axles not on top so they are easy
to inspect.  No pinches to be found anywhere from master cylinder to rear
wheel cylinders.  Also brake lines are completely dry.  No sign of a leak
anywhere.

Need some brilliant detective work.

thanks,

Phil Farmer