Re: Oils and Starters

To: bruce <mgb1964@cois.on.ca>
Subject: Re: Oils and Starters
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 16:20:54 -0400
bruce wrote:
>         Same car different question. At odd and importune times the car will
>just
> "click" when the key is turned. On inspection under the hood I see the
> starter motor has a 7/16 head on the back of it . One small turn with a
> wrench and all is well. I figured they put it there for a reason and that
> was it. Can any one tell me what the problem could be?

  If you get one good solid click but nothing else, and the
electrics in the car are still ok while this is happening (ie: all
the lights and gauges don't die) then your starter probably has
a dead spot.

  Turning that head puts it in a new place and all is well. That
is partly what that head is for, the other use is that occasionally
the starter drive gear will jam in the flywheel and jiggling
that nut will help work it free.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca