Re: Oils and Starters

To: "bruce" <mgb1964@cois.on.ca>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oils and Starters
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 19:29:39 +0100
Speaking of oils I believe Castrol GTX was originally 20W/50, but for many
years now it has been 15W/50 (in the UK at least, I think it has been 15W/50
in North America for some time).  However sometime in the last few months it
changed to 15W/40 - probably the same time as the '33% better protection'
statement appeared on the container!  I only noticed this week when topping
up from a new 5 litre 'can' - it ran like water.  Checked the last can I
bought (empty ready for the next oil change) and it was the same, checked
the two before that (must take a trip to the dump) and they were 15W/50.

A click usually signifies that either the relay or the someoid is working
but not supplying power onto the motor.  If the motor shaft turns quite
easily it looks like one
segment of the motor itself may have failed, or the brushes are worn and
only just making contact in some places on the com.  If it is stiff to turn
and comes free with a jolt it is probably jamming in mesh with the flywheel.

PaulH.