Re: transmission woes, part 2

To: "Charley & Peggy Robinson" <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: transmission woes, part 2
From: jmc <jmc987@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 01 14:47:42 -0700
I don't think he'll even attempt to rebuild the old box. I've used this
guy for a lot of other major mechanicals on my car and he's fast, honest,
reasonably priced and knows what he's talking about. And if says it's not
worth rebuilding the old tranny, I believe him. I thought about trying to
locate a recently rebuilt 3- or 4-synchro unit. And I'm not sure what
that would even run. Regarding the conversion, he says there's about a
day's worth of labor in it. Which, I believe, involves modifying the new
tranny so there aren't any clearance problems. Along with wiring in the
OD and a bunch of other things I can't remember. I took a look at another
conversion he did and it's very neat. You wouldn't notice it except that
stick sits a little further back. There's none of the nasty sheet metal
"bashing" they write about in the Moss catalog. So it's really just a
question of how a 4 sychro conversion would affect the character of my
car. And whether the improvement is noticable and worth the approximate
$1K total cost. Thanks.

Joseph
67 MGB Roadster

///