Re: Immigrants (Non LBC)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Immigrants (Non LBC)
From: Bob Shaw <shaws@mlcltd.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 07:06:08 -0500
I've generally stayed quiet lately, but feel compelled to say a few
things about the recent incidents. I do not mean to direct this to
any list individual. They are just some observations.

I live in Lincoln Nebraska. We have long been a center of
immigration. In the last 15 years we have received large numbers of
immigrants form Iraq, Vietnam, and Russia. We now have more Nguyens
than Smiths in the phone book (I know, I was curious and I counted).

Most came because they had to. Most are hard working, have gone about
the business of business, and have become an asset to Lincoln. Most
would, in the best of all worlds, have stayed in their home country,
but survival meant that they had to leave. Many cannot return under
penalty of death. Many tell me they are grateful for a place of
freedom where it is good to have a family and a chance to make their
way.

Their reasons are not that different than those of my own family.
They still honor the traditions and culture of their country of
origin-so do my wife's family and my own. But during the events of
last week, those who are from the middle east have told me the great
evil has followed them here. We must not allow this.

Lady Liberty has been there, a beacon of freedom for all of the world
for about half of our history. From where she stands one could see
pile of rubble where the WTC once was. What a pity it would be if we
allowed the actions of a few, made insane by hatred, to put our
history of tolerance and assimilation on the same pile of debris. The
great evil would win. We must not allow this to happen.

--
Bob Shaw
Check out Shaw's Garage at http://www.mlcltd.com/shawsgarage/

///