Re: a real rookie MGB engine question

To: "Dan Furbish" <BarnOwl@world.std.com>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: a real rookie MGB engine question
From: Bob Shaw <shaws@mlcltd.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 23:27:35 -0500
At 10:59 PM -0400 9/21/01, Dan Furbish wrote:
>OK here's a real rookie question.
>
>(Reading old publications of MGB racing machines in the
>60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's,  a trick  they used to do to
>get more horsepower (though not always determined from
>a dyno test) from even stock MGB motors, was to add
>"Shortie Ram Pipes" to their 1 1/2" SU's, they state that it
>improved breathing and helped add performance when used
>with other engine mods.
>some publications even called this modification a traditional
>accessory).
>
>My questions are:
>do they still make these Shortie ram pipes?

Yup, but I don't remember who makes them.

>will they fit my 1 3/4" SU's?

Come in all sizes

>How do they fit under K&N filters ?

absolutely

>Do you actually get results using this system ?

yup, but mostly at higher revs.

>Is the benefit worth the work ?

They run $25-30 each, and there isn't much work to it. Just take off
the air filters and put them back on with rams in place.

--
Bob Shaw
Check out Shaw's Garage at http://www.mlcltd.com/shawsgarage/

///