Re: new virus. (NON-LBC)delete if no computer interest

To: David N Waldmann <david@vermonthardwoods.com>
Subject: Re: new virus. (NON-LBC)delete if no computer interest
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:09:24 -0600 (MDT)
They might try, but it is technically not possible to write a virus for *inx
based machines.

The *nix world gets worms on occasion, and security holes from time to time.
( sendmail, lpr.. etc...)

However, I think you are excactly right.  I didn't say everyone should go use
the same thing.  Monopolies are power things.

MS, eCS, OS/2 and MACs are all susceptible to virus infections, as well as all
of the SW that runs on them.  And as you mention, the other programs get
attacked to...

But, if I am am not mistaken, eCs and OS/2 have (to date) 2 known viruses .
MACs have less than Windows.

Maybe I should have said that we ought to all spread out so it isn't so easy to
whack everyone at once.

Go look at the CERT's website and see who has the most problems.  (www.cert.org)
MS does not have total dominance in the server market, but they are pretty high
on the problem report list.

No more from me on this, as it is NON-LBC...

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, David N Waldmann wrote:

> You don't think that Wintel is being targeted because of its wide usage? I'm
> quite certain that if 90% of the world was using Netscape on Linux that
> virii would be written to bring them down intead.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///