Re: new virus. (NON-LBC)delete if no computer interest

To: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@home.com>, <Duinhoven_Hans@emc.com>
Subject: Re: new virus. (NON-LBC)delete if no computer interest
From: <aaronw@wsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:51:19 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Andrew B. Lundgren wrote:

> They might try, but it is technically not possible to write a virus for
> *inx based machines.

BTW, your line break is wrong.  Email clients should traditionally
break lines from 70-74 chars, so that there is room to reply without
odd quotes.

As for *nix based viri, it is quite possible.
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/03/28/010328hnvirlin.xml?0329tham

This is a proof of concept virus that infects both Linux and Windows.
The key about unix that makes it protective is the limitations of user
permissions, so a user cannot infect system files.  As for actual
propigation, while it hasn't happened yet, it can.  I suspect MacOS
will bring viri to the unix world fairly quickly.  All it takes is one
known unpatched local root vulnerability.

> MS, eCS, OS/2 and MACs are all susceptible to virus infections, as well.

<pedantic>
Macintosh is the name of the computer.  Shortend, it can be spelled as
"Mac".  It is not an acronym, and should NEVER be spelled MAC.
</pedantic>

> MS does not have total dominance in the server market, but they are
> pretty high on the problem report list.

Microsoft, to its credit is somewhat good about releasing patches.
They are not as good as the Linux/BSD vendors, but are better than
Apple or Sun.  Most of the problem lies in lazy administrators, who
either don't know (no excuse) or don't take action when a patch is
released.  The last 3 IIS worms all utilized the same vulnerability.
The most recent one is using vunerabilities patched at least 3 months
ago in IIS, almost a year in Outlook.

Now, I am not Microsoft lackey.  I use FreeBSD for servers, and my
workstation at work is also FreeBSD based.  I have a Mac at home.  I
refuse to use many MS products on the grounds that they do not meet
my needs.  If you use a product (any product, from any company), stay
up to date.  That doesn't always mean you have to upgrade, but
periodically check and make sure you have all patches available.

> No more from me on this, as it is NON-LBC...
quite.  ditto.

--
Aaron Whiteman -- Thoughts of graduation vaguely apply.
 My opinions are mine and do not reflect the views of the University.

///