Re: Resolution? re: Charging System Woes

To: Scott Allen <scottinarl@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Resolution? re: Charging System Woes
From: <aaronw@wsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 22:12:32 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Scott Allen wrote:

> Remember when I said it was flickering prior to the first failure, but that
> it had stopped?  Well, I just checked and it does not come on when I turn
> the ignition on.
>
> To me, this means that the bulb is suspect, or its ground is bad.
>
> If this is the case, looking at the wiring diagram, it will create an open
> circuit on that charging system, which means that the battery won't charge.
> Is this correct?  Has anybody on the list had this happen to them?

Yes, I had just this type of thing happen.  Went to start the car,
noticed that my warning lights didn't (we all do this, right?).

Knowing that something is suspect, I turned the car "on", and checked
voltages at both brown wires (should be ~ 12V without the car
running).  If you get voltage at the thin wire, the bulb is fine.

My Alternator was putting out all of 10 V according to the NAPA
tester, the Bosch I replaced it with works much better (to be fair,
the Lucas replacement would have worked too).

Fortunately, I am able to stop driving when something goes wrong until
I can fix it, so I didn't kill any batteries in the process.

--
Aaron Whiteman -- Thoughts of graduation vaguely apply.
 My opinions are mine and do not reflect the views of the University.

///