Sanding and Prepping for Paint

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Sanding and Prepping for Paint
From: Bill Snyder <wtsnyder@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 12:45:51 -0400
Hello list,
My son and I are restoring a '72 BGT and have finished the mechanicals,
put in an OD tranny, and redone the interior. Now, we're ready to tackle
sanding and prepping for paint. We would like to do that work ourselves
to save cash and then have a body shop do the spraying. Can someone on
the list give a good rundown on the steps we need to take, including
types and grits of sandpaper, prep solutions, small dent repair, etc. We
have a relatively rust free body with only a few rust bubbles, and only
small dents. The paint on the car now appear WAY too thick and has
spiderweb cracking. We have an air compressor and a dual action air
sander and a jitterbug sander. Thanks in advance for your help and
advice.

Bill Snyder
'67 B
'72 BGT in process