RE:

To: mgbob@juno.com, d_dibiase@yahoo.com
Subject: RE:
From: Duinhoven_Hans@emc.com
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:19:36 -0400
I've got it all lubed very well and the knobs turn nicely with reasonable
effort.
The cable is new (see the history in the archives) and moves freely.
The water valve was new when the car was purchased - almost not used since
then (1990)

There have been many discussions about the poor effectiveness of the heater
knob.
Just recently I got the explanation of the former owner of Octagon Spares
(in the Netherlands!) who has over 30 years MG experience.
He explained the heater valve really closes when the moving part you can see
on the outside has moved into the "flat" part of its travel space i.e. it
cannot move any further.

Well I tried this, but the knob could not do the job, so I used some force
of a screwdriver directly on the valve. This was effective and at last the
interior of the GT was not heated anymore in summertime.

My conclusion:
during summertime I'll manually force the valve into fulle closed position
with the screwdriver
the travel of the cable generated by the knob is not compatible with the
travel of the valve's actuator
To reach the valve's closed position costs too much force
The design is far from ideal

Cheers,

Hans

'71 BGT with decent temperatures now