RE: Update on "bluebell" (re-named "smokey joe")

To: Ken Waringa <kwaringa@dynsys.com>, "MGs (E-mail)"
Subject: RE: Update on "bluebell" (re-named "smokey joe")
From: scott beavis <sbeavis@solartronanalytical.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:26:30 +0100
>Scott, have you done a compression test on the engine?  When I bought the

Yep. Nothing nasty. One cylinder down a bit, but no mayonaise or cooling
problems. The head was swapped, recon'd, skimmed, painted, ground in, etc
etc etc and fitted with a new gasket about 6 months ago. Been fine since.

>Keep us informed of your progress.

Will do. I really do think it is 99% likely that this smoke is being caused
by oil somehow getting onto the hot exhaust, either up on the manifold, or
down under the car. If I can fix the oil leaks, then theoretically the smoke
should go away.

The trouble with oil leaks is you can't usually see them easily. The
underside of the engine is just very oily, with oil drips hanging off all
the bolts etc. The car leaks a bit of oil when parked but nothing to really
worry about. I am pretty sure most of the oil is coming from the rocker
cover. There are black trails down the head, past the sprak plugs, and then
down the block. If I vent the rocker cover by plumbing a hose onto it then
hopefully this should stop the oil coming out. I want to get an alloy rocker
cover. The caps on those tend to seal better.

I am also considering doing the piston rings. I really don't want to pull
the engine out, so maybe take the head and sump off and push the pistons and
rods out the top. New pistons and rings could be fitted and then carefully
inserted back in.

Scott

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com