Re: wierd electrical problem solved...word to the wise!

To: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wierd electrical problem solved...word to the wise!
From: Eugene Balinski <eugeneb@nni.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 20:00:00 -0300
Bill wrote:
>So what the hell...I felt around the battery compartment when I realized
>the + wire was a bit frayed with wires exposed AND the battery was close
>to the chassis.  "Hmmm,"  Sherlock said, "could I be shorting out the
>battery by a tiny movement of the battery due to the slight jerk when
>the starter moter engages?"    Of course, why did turning the headlights
>on also turn off the electrical power? I have no answer to that one.

  You should replace any frayed wires.  Better electrical wires/contacts
mean better
performing cars.  It also help prevent electrical fires.

>So I moved the battery and it started right up. So here's my question:
>I've had the car for 4 years now. Is there supposed to be a strap or a
>battery hold down within the battery compartment?  I never had anything
>there and the battery is just sitting free.

   My 80 b has a strap over the top.  The strap bolts on to two long rods
with a "J" hook
at the opposite end.  That rod run down the side of the battery and hooks to the
battery tray.

   Moss has the parts. Battery brackets - Page 144 of catalog MGB-16

  Hope this helps,

  Gene Balinski

      80 B

///