Windshield questions, and a Crosley Hot Shot sighting...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Windshield questions, and a Crosley Hot Shot sighting...
From: matttrebelhorn@netscape.net (Matthew Trebelhorn)
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 10:08:20 -0500
I am thinking about replacing my windshield -- the old one is scratched and
pitted in a couple of places.

I believe the scratches are too deep to polish, as they definitely catch a
fingernail when you feel the surface of the glass.

Anyway, a couple of questions about replacing, and replacement, windshields.

First, what was the original etched marking on the windshield?

All of the other windows are marked TRIPLEX, with their logo.  My windshield is
marked GUARDIAN, with a large "G" logo.  Is this a replacement item?  How are
new windshields marked today?

Second, about the seal between the glass and the frame.  Is this piece
currently available?  Is the quality reasonable?  I ask this because

I saw a Crosley Hot Shot at the gas station the other day.  Well, sort of.  It
started life as a Hot Shot, then rusted/fell apart, then got put back together
by a hot rodder.  So it is now 6-8 inches wider than a normal Hot Shot, has a
Mustang engine, 10" rear wheels, and an MGB windshield.  Ick.

(This is endlessly debatable...  It is not disappearing into the earth from
whence it came, but it is not what it was, or what it should/could be, an
actual Hot Shot.)

But anyway, his windshield was new, and beautiful, and he claimed that he
re-used the original rubber between the glass and the frame, because the
replacement pieces that he got were badly formed, or the wrong shape entirely,
and impossible to use.

Is this true?  Or is the contemporary piece reasonably good/useful, and the
Hot Shot/hot rod guy just got the wrong piece, or was putting it on wrong, or...

Well, any thoughts on replacement windshields, or Crosley Hot Shots, are
welcome.  And degree-of-difficulty-wise, I replaced the windshield-to-body seal
8-10 years ago.  Will this be harder or easier?

Thanks, all.

Matt