RE: Questions....should be moderated

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Questions....should be moderated
From: "Greg Bass" <gregbass@atlantadental.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 10:06:17 -0500
Due to some pressing other business I must have missed the cause of this
thread. And I will apologize up front if I am off base here. Anyway here's
my 2 cents worth.

The question of moderation brings to mind several issues.

1) What is the reason/need for the moderation in the first place? Is it to
keep out Spam, reduce bandwidth or simply because a percentage of people
don't like the issues being discussed. If it's to stop Spam, that is a good
thing, but I fail to see the need for that here in this list. If it's to
reduce bandwidth, again I don't see the need but I am not privy to those
factors. If it is because of the topics being discussed, I hope that is not
the case. In my opinion that would simply reduce this list to a small
handful of people. The open nature of this list is a definite plus. Sure
most of the topics are strictly MG related as they should be. But there
should be a tolerance to allow the occasional OT post. It adds a "community"
feeling to this list IMHO.

2) Moderation of a list would require quite a bit of someone's time. Any
volunteers for this thankless job? I have moderated a NG in the past as part
of a moderation team. It still required A LOT of each moderators time. If
you don't know how a moderation process works then I would humbly suggest
that you look into it and see what it is really all about.

Greg
'78B
'01 Craftmans Riding Mower :-)

///