Re: Garage Heat...

To: "Dan DiBiase" <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Garage Heat...
From: Steve Morris <smorris@en.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 22:28:12 -0500
Dan,

I tried this several years ago with a large attached single car garage
with my woodworking shop. I used a Kero-Sun [sp] kerosene heater with a
blower on top. After several hours, the air temp was fairly comfortable,
even on the coldest days. One huge downside, though (aside from the lack
of ventilation), is that warm air, and cold tools/car/etc result in
serious condensation! By the end of winter, I had a surface rust on my
the tables of all my stationary tools and hand tools that were out,
including hand planes, hammers, etc. on my tool board. I can imagine that
this would play havoc with our rust prone cars. I eventually just put on
more clothes, or waited for warmer days.

Whatever you end up with, make sure you seal as best as possible around
the garage door. I put some trim pieces around both sides and the top of
the door that have rubber wipers attached to keep snow and wind out. I
also epoxied a thick rubber padto the floor under the door to take up any
irregularities where the floor and door meet. It also has a lip on the
inside, so any blowing rain runs back outside. These helped tremendously
to keep out wind, drafts, and the occasional corner snow drift from those
nasty Nor'easters.

On a somewhat related note (cold weather is coming), I must admit that
today was probably the first time since I bought my car 15 months ago
that it was *almost* not fun to drive. Last week it was 31F one almost
dark morning, but by the time I left work it was 40s and sunny most of
the week. Yesterday was a little warmer in the morning, but pretty cool
due to daylight savings time ending last weekend. Today was downright
dark and cold at both ends of the day, even though the temp was about
40F. I think it was because it was more gloomy and windy, but I just
wanted to get home and get inside.

Last year I drove until the 6 months insurance ran out November 13 (and
one 30F morning.) That's still two weeks away, so hopefully there are
still a few nice driving days left. Of course, all this is still with the
hood off. I only had it up once last Nov 12, and even though it was in
the mid 30s, it felt colder! Sorta like the wind was funneling through,
and it sounded a lot louder. Now it's half the tonneau zipped up, heater
on, layered jackets with GoreTex outer, gloves, and a warm hat firmly
pulled down over my ears! Those Z3, S-2000, and Miata drivers with their
tops up and windows closed look at me like I'm nuts. Maybe, but I'm
mostly still having fun!

Steve

Steve Morris     Avon, Ohio
1958 MGA 1500    Red/Black