Re: 72B restoration

To: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Subject: Re: 72B restoration
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 07:02:12 -0700
I should mention that when I told the shop owner I was thinking of going
black, he got a weird expression on his face. So I asked him what was wrong
with black and that was what he said. Plus he said the owner would always
be polishing his car, keeping it clean, and would notice any scratches. So
then I thought maybe I'll go white.

Then yesterday, I talked to the guy who was actually doing the work. His
reaction was the exact opposite. He didn't like white at all. He liked
black because it highlighted his work best. He seems to really take pride
in his work and said he could make the car into a show winner. I'm still
not sure I want to go that far - a car should be driven, not trailered.

David

At 11:07 PM 10/30/01 -0600, Bullwinkle wrote:
>Dave:
>
>Black on a car means that the prep work and panel straightening
>has to be absolutely 100% perfect.  Otherwise all the
>irregularities will show.  The lighter the color, the more
>forgiving it will be as to showing a not quite perfectly straight
>panel.  Black cars also show dirt and dust the most.
>
>I believe when some were talking about black, they were saying
>that worked real well with the RB cars.  Since your 72 isn't a RB
>car, I would consider a lighter color that would have been in use
>by MG about the time the car was built.
>
>Blake

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list