Re: MG disaster...

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG disaster...
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:10:32 -0800
Murphy strikes again! Man, I hate it when that happens...

Being aware of the ground clearance issue on MGs, I always mount those
exhaust u-bolts upside-down or sideways (depending on location), so that
only a slender rounded section of the "U" protrudes beneath the pipe. Or it
might have been prudent to hacksaw off the extra length of bolt beyond the
nut (an inch-and-a-half seems excessive, and might have raised a red flag).
On this subject, I also note that there is probably a reason why the
original front mufflers had a "streamlined" front and rear profile -- so
they would slide over obstructions instead of catching. I say this because I
noticed my friend's new exhaust system for his 69 B came with a blunt-ended
"can" front muffler. The whole thing hangs considerably lower than the
ancient system on my 66, and as he outweighs me by 60-70 lbs... suffice it
to say I anticipate trouble (once he gets the thing on the road).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

///