Re: mga engine replacement

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: mga engine replacement
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 14:10:33 -0800
Tim, I wouldn't say that was high, considering how much work you had done,
and how many new parts went into it. A typical "rings and bearings" rebuild
might very well be less, however. And one where the owner did the
disassembly and re-assembly and the shop only did the machine work could be
much less.

But this discussion of rebuild costs is really somewhat irrelevant, since
the original poster didn't even own the car in question, yet, and had not
even examined the engine to get an idea of what might need to be renewed --
he just "assumed" it would need rebuilding. Just like he "assumed"
shoehorning in a Chevy would be cheaper. I think enough listers have
pooh-poohed that idea that I need not add any additional comments. I'd just
like to say that a lot of the fun of owning an MG is in the idea of
"MG-ness" -- that it is not a Chevy or Ford or something equally mundane.
And it's not like the engine parts are difficult to come by, or even
particularly expensive for the most part.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

///