Re: MGB HELP

To: "Ryan, Wesley" <wryan@giplastek.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: MGB HELP
From: gaveleer <gaveleer@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 11:51:08 -0500
Ryan, Wesley wrote:

> Not sure if you could help (first time with this e-mail group) but I need
> some help with my restoration project of my 76 MGB. Two problems really: the
> first is motor mounts on the driver side....I can't get to the nut...is
> there an easy way to remove it or am I forced to take off the steering wheel
> drive shaft. if so is this straight forward and easy? also I have pulled the
> engine out and will be replacing the clutch. Do I need to also remove the
> transmission or can I easily slide the motor back in with the new clutch.
> thanks for any help and please pass this along if you know of anyone that
> can help. thanks again.
>
> Wesley Ryan
> Project Engineer
> GI Plastek
> 937-645-4018
>

> -

             Hello Wesley,

                                      If you have the engine out, here's how I
usually
            remove the drivers side mount.

                 Angle grinder and chisel.   If the rubber has ripped at the top
half leaving
            the rubber on the lower, grind a strip down to the middle of the
mount to
            the base. Grind or chisel off the rest of the rubber and clean op
the
rest of
            the mount.

                 Continue to grind the metal base of the old metal motor mount
until
          you see the middle round circular stud begin to make itself
noticeable.

          Take a punch about the same diameter as the stud and whack it out,
           or continue to grind till you achieve your goal.

                 Its been my experience that the stud always falls between of
the

            steering column and the frame. I usually look for a big screwdriver
and
            pry the column just a little towards the inside of the of the engine
            compartment. That provides just enough clearance to let the stud
fall
out.

                 Time for the new motor mount. This is one of the worst jobs to
             perform on a B. Sometimes it goes easy. Sometimes its ridiculously
hard.
            You should walk away for a few minutes if this task gets
frustrating,
cool off.
             Then start fresh, and give it another try. Don't beat yourself up
this is a tuff
              job but you can do it! Patience.

                 Fit the proper size wrench to the bolt (I cant remember the
size
off hand.)
              Get a gob of grease and cover the nut and the end of the wrench.
Fit the
               plate on the inside of the motor mount and use a fair amount of
grease to hold
               it in place once you locate the stud holes.

                  Try to find a good spot for a screw driver to pry the column
down
               by the motor mount. Don't go crazy, a little is a lot. (Sometimes
it helps
               to grind down the end of the wrench a little, make it a little
thinner to
               help with clearance).

                   Fit the motor mount stud into the bracket, be sure not to
knock the
              plate from the inside. Reach up with your wrench to the inside of
the
              engine bracket. Turn the motor mount as the wrench will be boxed
in.
              Hopefully you can get this done before you arm goes numb.

                    Pull your trainy, and put the gearbox and motor together
outside
              the car. I think the only way to do inside the car would be to
taper the
              pilot bushing first.

              Well that's how I do em. If anyone has a better way let me know
to.

              Good luck!

              Steve D

///