RE: MGB HELP

To: "'Ryan, Wesley'" <wryan@giplastek.com>
Subject: RE: MGB HELP
From: "Parenti, Mark" <MParenti@Pirus.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:31:34 -0500
I just did this recently. As was mentioned previously on the list, the "Gear
Wrenches" from Sears work very well for this. These are the combination
wrenches with a built-in ratchet on the closed end. These wrenches are
fairly thin and I was able to use the open end on the body part of the
mount. No pushing of the steering shaft is necessary, the wrench easily slid
between the shaft and the mounting flange. Replacement was a pain. I put the
nut onto the wrench with a piece of masking tape, held it in position and
had someone screw the mount into the nut from above. I did this operation on
two MGs recently. Took awhile on the first one. On the second, got it on the
first try. The key was to get the nut adequately attached to the wrench.
Maybe the suggestion to use grease would be better, but you have to protect
against the nut getting pushed backwards. The second time I securely
attached the nut to the wrench and with a couple wraps of tape and then
opened a hole in the tape to allow access to the threads.

Not sure how to get the mount off the engine while in the car. I used a
sawzall and simply cut the rubber in half!!

Mark

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///