Virii again

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Virii again
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:32:16 -0500
There's a lot of virus discussion on this list.  I know the topic is MG,
but if it'll help MG people spend more time on their cars and less time
fixing their computers, then I think I can justify this post.

I'll offer some tips on avoiding viruses.  I'm a software engineer, run a
multimedia engineering firm, have been writing software for over 25 years now.

My systems are virus free, even though I don't use anti-virus software
myself.  What's the magic?

- Never, ever, run any document that is sent to you unless you (1) know the
person it is coming from and, (2) are expecting it.  Just because someone
you know sends you a .EXE file does not mean you should click on it - quite
the contrary!

- Just because you know the person it is coming from does not mean that it
is safe to click on the attachment.  Many current viruses propagate
themselves through the user's address book, sending a follow-up email to
everyone in the book, so it LOOKS like it's coming from someone you know
(which it is, technically) - except that person didn't know about it.

- If possible, do NOT use Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express.  Use Eudora
or something instead.  Outlook is a major target for viruses.

- Whichever software you use, please follow these rules:

* DISABLE Java and Javascript in HTML email.  There is usually a preference
for this somewhere.  If your email program can show stylized or formatted
text, typically it can render HTML.  If Java or Javascript is turned on,
then you have the potential for a variety of "HTML" viruses.

* It is safe to click on .JPG files.

* It is generally safe to click on attached HTML if you know who it is
coming from AND if you have Java/Javascript turned OFF as described above.

* It is NOT presumed safe to click on ANY of the following:  .lnk, .pif,
.scr, .vba, .vbs, .exe, .bat

* Be aware that some viruses have "double extensions".  If you look quick,
they look like valid documents or pictures, but if you take a close look
you'll see they really have two extensions.  Only the last one
counts.  Example:  "78MGB.jpg.lnk"  It's not a .jpg - it's a .lnk, and
that's dangerous.

* It is usually safe to click on a .DOC file PROVIDED that you keep macros
off in your word processor.

* Do not let your twelve-year old (or any family member) run programs they
downloaded from the Internet unless you are extremely sure that it's from a
very reputable site.  Don't let them bring in a disk they got from a
friend.  It's easy to control what you allow into the system - it's harder
when your whole family wants to install stuff and run it.  If this happens,
then you definitely need anti-virus software.  Preferably just give them
their own computer, if you can manage that.

Hope this helps.

- Tab

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list