Sparky the TD

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Sparky the TD
From: "Scott Allen" <scottinarl@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 19:27:47 +0000
Hi,

So I'm getting a handle on a problem with my '52, and I figure that now is
as good as a time as any to throw another one that I was leaving on the
back-burner 'till the big one was sorted out.

Backstory:

TD came back to life after an almost year-long mechanical restoration.
Battery was replaced, generator and starter were re-built a year prior.
After a few days back on the road the battery dies.  I consult a wiser head
then mine, and he believes that the regulator may have stuck in the "on"
position, so I clean it up and it seems to do the trick, but four or five
days later the battery dies again.

I happen to have a new regulator, but it's in a different location.  Before
I can replace it a core plug blows and I have to deal with it.  In dealing
with it I pull off the starter cable to give me better access to one of the
manifold nuts.

I charge the battery

I put in the new regulator

The starter cable isn't hooked up yet.

I hook up the neg side of the battery, (it's a positive ground system)

I go to hook up the ground and SPARK!

To troubleshoot it I leave the ground disconnected, and then pull the wires
going to the regulator.  I then hook up the ground on the battery and
reconnect the wires to the regulator one by one.

When I get to the wire that runs to the back of the Ammeter: SPARK!

So I check the wiring on the Ammeter, and it is hooked up properly, nor can
I find any exposed wires ruling out shorts.

Looking at the wiring diagram the other wire on the ammeter goes to the
starter switch which goes to the starter which is still disconnected.

So here's my questions:

1.  Could the spark be due to the starter being unhooked?

2.  If not then any suggestions on where I should start looking would be
appreciated...

3.  I noticed that when I turned power on to the lights they didn't come on.
  Also I put the key in and turned it and I didn't hear the fuel pump
clickeing, so obviously the electrical system isn't working with the ammeter
unhooked.  Is this by design, or do I have another problem?

I'm not going to be back home until Friday, but I'd like to hit the ground
running on this, so any help appreciated.

Scott  Allen

52 TD, (Sparky)
74 1/2 BGT